3/13/13

Posted by Kara on 2:28 PM

I know what you're all thinking: "Seafood is so expensive! How is this cheap?" Oh darling readers, have more faith in me. Walmart has pre-cooked, 2 pound bags of mussels for $3.25. Yes people, 2 pounds for $3. I'm your favorite, I know. Now that I've had my prideful moment, let's get down to business. This recipe is rich in flavor and protein, and I made it even more so by adding shrimp. My siblings usually turn their noses up at seafood, but they actually liked this recipe, which is seriously saying something!

Ingredients
1 pound of mussels
1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 cup beef or chicken broth (I used bouillon)
1 or 2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 green onion, chopped
3 Tbsp. flour for thickening
1 Tbsp. greek yogurt or 2 Tbsp. light cream
Pepper to taste

Step One: Melt the butter in a large pan, adding garlic and onion. 
Cook until a light golden color, stirring constantly.
Add 1/2 cup of broth, red pepper flakes, and greek yogurt.
Dissolve the flour in the other 1/2 cup of broth and stir into pan.
Let simmer for 5 minutes or so.
Step Two: If you used the pre-cooked mussels from Walmart, you're
good to just toss them into your sauce! If you'd like to be a copy cat
(which is awesome, nothing wrong with that) and add shrimp, throw
them in with your mussels. Cook them for about 5 more minutes
so they can soak in all that delicious flavor!


Step Three: You can serve it over pasta or simply eat it straight up!
Enjoy!

To view the original (and more expensive) recipe, go to: All Recipes: Amazing Mussels



Categories: