2/10/13

Posted by Kara on 1:08 AM
Ok, so I'm going to be honest. When I first ordred egg drop soup, I wasn't exactly excited to try it. Let me rephrase: I didn't even order it...my sister ordered it for me. It sounds awful, and looks awful. But once I gathered to courage to taste that first spoonful, I decided my ability to judge food by its looks was really bad. Later on, I was craving it again (and by again I mean for the millionth time) but didn't want to spend the money. Challenge accepted. After trying several recipes and experimenting with them, I finally satisfied my cravings. This is my version of the classic Chinese soup.

Ingredients
2 cups cold water
2 chicken bouillon cubes (or 2 cups of chicken broth)
2 Tbs flour or cornstarch
1 tsp ginger powder
1 green onion (white part for flavor, green for garnish)
1 tsp soy sauce


Step one: dissolve flour into the water. Make sure it's cold, or the flour will clump and won't thicken the broth. Break up the bouillon cubes and add to the water mixture.
Step two: simmer broth on medium heat until desired thickness. Add chopped onion, ginger, and soy sauce.
Step three: lightly beat egg in a separate bowl. Most recipes tell you to add pour the egg into the broth and stir once, then take off the heat. I usually just stir the broth fast enough that when I pour in the egg it goes around on its own (if that even makes sense).
Step four: take off the heat, and top with the green onion for garnish. Enjoy!
Categories: