2/8/13

Posted by Kara on 3:08 PM


Now for a taste of deliciousness. Price wise it's not as cheap as my previous posts, but I can help you with that. I used a 3 pound roast, and we all know those can be expensive. However, after I cut it into strips I froze down half of it for future use. If you don't want to pay for beef, it is cheaper to buy pork, and it works just the same!


Ingredients
Vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon minced ginger (I didn't have any, so I used ginger powder)
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 lb beef roast (cut into 1/4 in strips)
1/4 cup cornstarch (again, I didn't have any so I used regular flour)
3 scallions (green parts only), cut into 1 inch pieces
1 lb beef, cut into 1/4 inch strips

Heat 2 tsp oil in a small span over medium-low heat. Add the ginger and garlic and sauté until golden. Add the soy sauce and water, stirring together. Stir in the brown sugar and increase the heat to medium. Bring the sauce to a boil for 3 minutes. Remove the sauce from the heat and set aside.

Take the beef slices, and toss it with the cornstarch. Shake off any excess cornstarch. Place a large sauté pan or wok over medium-high heat and add 1/2 cup vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot (but not smoking), add the beef to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes until it is seared on all sides but barely cooked in the center. Remove the beef from the pan with a slotted spoon and transfer it onto a paper towel-lined plate. Pour any excess oil out of the wok.
Take the sauce and put it into the wok. When it's warm, add the beef. Cook it at a boil for 2 minutes. Add the sliced scallions, cooking until desired tenderness.
Serve over long grain rice.
*Tip: when I cook my rice, I add a little oil and salt. This keeps it from becoming sticky.

To view the original recipe, go to: Justataste.com
Categories: